Christmas and New Years are fast approaching- many festivities will commence that include our furry family members. Here are some tips to keep your pets safe from dangerous holiday decor and unhealthy treats!
Holiday Decorations and Toxic Plants:
Christmas Trees: They can fall over if a pet climbs on them or tries to play with the lights and ornaments. Securely anchor them by tying the tree to the ceiling or a doorframe using fishing line. Prevent your pet from drinking spilled tree water, which can contain fertilizers that can cause an upset stomach. Consider moving ornaments high up on the tree and leaving the bottom clear and out of your pet’s reach.
Lights, Batteries, Candles: Make sure all wires, batteries, and glass or plastic ornaments are out of your pet’s reach. Christmas lights can deliver a potentially lethal electrical shock and a punctured battery can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus, while shards of breakable ornaments can damage your pet’s mouth and digestive tract. Do not leave candles unattended, they can cause severe burns to your pet and result in a fire.
Festive Plants: Amaryllis, mistletoe, balsam, pine, cedar, and holly are among the common holiday plants that can be dangerous and even poisonous to pets that decide to eat them. It’s better to have artificial plants made from silk or plastic, or choose a pet-safe bouquet.
Tinsel and other Holiday Decorations: shiny, hanging objects like tinsel can be tempting for pets to play with and eat which can cause choking and if ingested, severe damage to their digestive tract. Other breakable decorations can cause injury to your pet as well so hang them high!
If you want your pet to join in on the holiday treats, provide ones that are formulated for animals. The following foods are dangerous to pets:
Chocolate: This is a main part of the holidays for many people, but is toxic and deadly for dogs and cats. Although the toxicity can vary based on the type of chocolate, the size of your pet, and the amount they ate, it’s safer to consider all chocolate off limits for pets.
Sweets: Should be kept out of reach. An artificial sweetener often found in baked goods, candy and chewing gum- xylitol- has been linked to liver failure and death in dogs. Make sure to keep your pets away from the table and unattended plates of food, and be sure to secure the lids on garbage cans.
Table Food/Leftovers: Turkey, fatty spicy foods, gravy, onions, raisins and grapes are poisonous to pets or can create gas, bloating or even worse, pancreatitis.
When having guests over, it is important to take a few precautions to make sure your party is just as fun and safe for your guests as it is for your furry family member. Here are a few tips:
Pet Space: All of your pets should have access to a comfortable, quiet room or crate where they can retreat to and feel safe. Place a fresh bowl of water, a favorite toy and a comfortable place to lie down.
House Rules/Inform guests: Be sure to let guests know of the pets in your home so they can prepare if they have allergies or comprised immune systems.
Noise: Typically holiday parties can get loud and if there are fireworks it is important to secure your pet in a safe space that is escape proof if the party starts to gets a little loud.
We wish all our Clients, Pets and Family a Very Happy Holiday Season and Wish You a Very Safe New Year 2018!